Women’s health is of prime importance to have a healthy society. The science of life–Ayurveda is practiced in India since time immemorial. Besides being cost-effective and easily available Ayurvedic drugs are considered safe. In Ayurveda, gynaecological disorders have been described as Yonivyapad.
Menstrual disorders ranging from amenorrhea, dysmenorrhea, and menorrhagia can be successfully treated by understanding the underlying causative factors. In this context, simple herbal formulations given in the classical texts of Ayurveda are of potential therapeutic value which is quite often undervalued. Starting with menarche up to menopause Ayurveda offers solutions for successful management of almost every Gynecological disorder.
There is a well-planned antenatal regimen described in Ayurveda for the management of pregnancy-related ailments. The menopausal syndrome can also be managed by relieving symptoms without the use of hormones. Rasayana (rejuvenation) drugs can be administered to manage ailments during menopause. Ayurveda mentions many drugs that can be administered as vayasthapaka (anti-aging) drugs. Thus, many of the gynecological ailments can be effectively managed by simple remedies mentioned in Ayurveda.
Gynaecological conditions are major contributors to morbidity and mortality worldwide, with the greatest burden of disease borne by women in developing countries. Approximately 8% of the overall global disease burden can be attributed to gynaecological disease, which exceeds that of other major global health priorities such as malaria (1.04%), tuberculosis (2.9%), ischemic heart disease (4.2%), and maternal conditions (3.5%). There is a health workforce crisis in most developing countries, leaving few specialists or other healthcare cadres to manage gynaecological conditions.
Many countries could prevent or treat a broad spectrum of gynaecological diseases using cheap and widely available drugs and resources. With the scarcity of healthcare workers, there is also very limited spectrum research that has been done on many diseases in modern medicine. In India, there has been a noticeable increase in Gynaecological disorders in the past few decades. Prasuti and Strirog professionals have been practicing Ayurveda Gynaecology for ages and have delivered great results too!
As per Ayurveda, the key to treating gynaecological disorders lies in balancing hormones, regulating lifestyle, managing stress, and adopting a body-energy (dosha constitution) supportive diet along with medicinal herbs. The treatment is always planned as per the energy (dosha) constitution of the Patient’s body.
Vata type patients’ have short, irregular, and scanty menstrual flow with other ailments like menstrual cramping, lower back pain, constipation, flatulence, depression, anxiety, low-vitality, insomnia, and nervous sensitivity.
Pitta type patients’ have excess menstrual flow for a medium duration. They may face issues of acne, rashes, red eyes, short temper, irritability, diarrhea, fever or burning sensation, and flushed face.
Kapha type patients’ have prolonged, continuous, and moderate menstrual flow clubbed with symptoms like nausea, edema (mostly in lower legs), feelings of heaviness, and fatigue.
Often, patients are seen to have a combination of two Doshas.
Here are some conditions/disorders which are effectively managed with Ayurveda treatment –
- Infertility – Infertility is managed by looking at the reproductive system components. Ayurveda pays attention to each individual body type, enhances the body systems participating in the process of fertilization, and therefore serves as an excellent alternative for reaching fertilization. Last but not least Yoga plays a very important role in Fertility. One should also follow a healthy regimen along with a nourishing diet.
- Menstruation Issues – In womanhood, an important physiological manifestation is Artavachakra, i.e. menstrual cycle, which gives her identity of motherhood. Ayurveda has differentiated menstrual disorders according to doshas which help in design a specific treatment for a specific patient and help in the permanent resolution of complaints over time.
- Vaginal discomfort
- Uterine infection
- Polycystic ovary syndrome – PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome) is probably the fastest-growing health hazard amongst women of reproductive age. The prevalence of this disease in the general population is about 5-10% world-wide whereas relatively high prevalence in the Indian subcontinent (52%). It is characterized by a combination of hyperandrogenism (clinical or biochemical), chronic anovulation, and polycystic ovaries.
- This is frequently associated with insulin resistance and obesity. While modern medicines offer symptomatic treatment on PCOS, Ayurveda has helped millions to overcome PCOS without any help of modern medicine and with minimal side effects.
- Uterine Fibroids / vaginal discharge
- Breast lumps
- White Discharge – Leucorrhoea is commonly known as “white discharge.” Ayurveda refers to leucorrhoea to Shwetapradara. This word means excessive white discharge. It is believed to be caused by aggravation or vitiation of kapha dosha. This commonly occurs in patients who are weak, emaciated, and anaemic. Most women experience a certain amount of vaginal secretion, which is the body’s natural way of cleaning, lubrication, and guarding the vagina against infections. Ayurveda offers multiple treatment options for the management of Leucorrhoea.
- Postmenopausal Syndrome
Whatever be the gynaecological disorder, Ayurveda has an answer to all. Be it the best of Ayurvedic treatment gynaecology for a long-term treatment plan or a mere therapy session for a day or two, in all ways the science of healing rejoices a win-win situation to cure all sorts of health concerns and problems women are facing in their day-to-day lives. The biggest advantage of Ayurveda for gynaecology is the balancing of the doshas that govern the body to restore the lost balance of the ‘Shukra’ or reproductive elements of the female body.
Moreover, the other advantages that Ayurveda provides as a cure for all gynaecological disorders are balancing the hormonal changes that are ought to occur when females start with their menstruation cycle at the beginning or peak of stepping into their teenage. Starting from here, the real cause of various diseases and disorders comes into the picture in the life of a female. When talking about the best gynecology treatment, many herbs work to balance the hormones, supports toning of the uterus serve as nourishment to the skin, and eventually prove to be magic for creating perfect harmony within the body of a female.
Some of the known herbs are:
- Black Pepper
Many therapeutic measures are also prescribed in Ayurveda as a perfect cure for gynaecological disorders. Some of the highly prescribed therapies are:
- Langhans: The therapy works to produce lightness in the body (producing lightness in the body)
- Rasayana: This works as a therapy that caters to preventing and promoting health.
- Samsodhana: This works as a mode of purification through complete removal of impurities
- Ahara: These are the dietary changes that are put to practice following the Ayurvedic course of treatment
- Achara: This is a procedure that caters to changing the behavior of an individual by helping the patients change the dietary and lifestyle habits
- Vamana: The therapy that induces the act of vomiting to remove toxins from the body
- Virechana: The therapy that cleanses the excessive pitta dosha
- Uttaravasti: A therapy that works wonder for bladder infection
- Nasya: The therapy works through the nasal route for creating harmony within
- Panchakarma: A popular massage therapy for detoxification and purification.
RISK OF OTC MEDICINES IN GYNAECOLOGICAL DISORDERS –
If you’re like most people, your medicine cabinet probably contains more than one over-the-counter (OTC) drug. Each year, Indians spend crores on non-prescription medications to treat everything from headaches to indigestion. These drugs can deliver safe, immediate relief; but they can be dangerous if misused or combined with other medicines.
People assume because it is over the counter that it is safe. The reality is that even aspirin can have adverse effects or cause harm if you don’t follow recommended doses, directions, and warnings.
Over-the-counter medications are intended to treat short-term illnesses and symptoms. Ingesting them over a long period of time can lead to any number of adverse effects and lead to a worsening of a disease that should be treated by a medical professional.
All gynaecological disorders are to be treated with the highest priority and sensitivity; hence the use of OTC is to be strictly restricted in Gynaecological disorders.
WHY PREFER AYURVEDA?
Ayurveda remedies are natural and holistic at the same time free from any side effects. There are evidence-based studies that are available for these treatments. In recent times a lot of research is being undertaken to validate their time-tested effectiveness through modern standards and parameters. Apart from complex herbal formulations, the Ayurvedic approach to healing is holistic and takes into consideration all the aspects of our environment as stated above and finds out the cause of our ill health and eliminates it by balancing our environment, food, and lifestyle.
Published by Hempstreet