Pain in the leg can be intermittent or constant among people. It can range from a dull ache to a severe throbbing or pulsating sensation. There are a variety of causes for such pain, such as spinal cord issues, blood vessel conditions, infections, etc. But one of the most common forms of leg pain is neuropathic pain/nerve pain.
In neuropathic pain, the nerves in the legs get inflamed, compressed, irritated, or damaged due to an injury, infection, or underlying conditions like nutritional deficiencies, immune system issues, diabetes, and arthritis in the spine, thyroid, etc. It is a sharp, electric-like pain. In some people, it gives the sensation of hot or warm water running down the thigh and/or the leg.
Over 3%-17% of the world’s population suffers from neuropathic pain. The current treatments available for this condition (anticonvulsants, antidepressants, conventional painkillers, NSAIDs, therapies, etc.) have very little to moderate efficacy.
Such prescription drugs can significantly reduce the quality of life in patients due to their negative side effects. They only focus on alleviating the symptoms and not the condition itself.
That is why many medical experts and Ayurvedic doctors today have conducted numerous clinical trials and studies and found a safer and more effective therapeutic approach for neuropathic pain patients, i.e., Vijaya. Read ahead to discover how Vijaya can help alleviate your neuropathic pain in the legs.
Types of Nerve Pain in the Leg
The different ways in which this pain occurs include:
- Pain originating from the lower back traveling down to the thigh, calf, and foot
- Pain starting from the toes and spreading towards the knee
- Pain that begins in a specific location (hip, thigh, foot, leg) and gradually spreads to other areas of the leg
- Burning or achy pain in the front and/or outer sides of the thigh
- Sharp, shooting pain along the sole and the inner ankle joint
Some patients also feel pain during sitting, standing, or performing certain upright exercises.
Symptoms of Neuropathic Leg Pain
The symptoms of this condition include:
- Weakness during leg movements
- Numbness in parts like the sole, toe, side of the leg, upper foot, etc.
- Weakness in leg and foot muscles, hip, thigh, toes, and ankles
- Buzzing/vibrations in the thigh region
- Catch in the toes while walking
- Inability to lift the foot
- Loss of balance
Neuropathic pain in the legs happens due to-
- Inflammation/compression in the nerve roots of the lower spine
- Damage to one or more nerves outside the brain, and the spinal cord (commonly due to diabetes)
- Inflammation in the blood vessels of the leg decreases the blood supply to the nerves and causes nerve damage
- Compression of the nerves in regions like the thigh, foot, near the knee, etc.
- Compression of the spinal cord due to abnormal bone growth, disk hernia, slippage of the vertebrae, etc.
Role of ECS in Neuropathic Pain
The ECS or the Endocannabinoid System regulates the development and transmission of pain signals in the body. It further controls the nervous system in the brain and the spinal cord and its pain pathways. When nerve fibers get damaged, they become more reactive due to the injury and send incorrect pain signals to the brain and the spinal cord.
The body’s ECS then produces the endocannabinoids on-demand to break the pain circuit and stop its signals. These endocannabinoids target the cannabinoid receptors CB1 and CB2 in the system to produce their effects.
These receptors are located throughout the nervous system and the various bodily organs and tissues. The CB1 receptors are mostly located in the brain areas responsible for regulating pain signals, movement, memory, etc. Whereas the CB2 receptors are prominently found in the immune cells of the organs and tissues, responsible for controlling inflammation.
How Can Trailokya Vijaya Vati Help With Neuropathic Pain?
When the neuropathic pain worsens, it becomes difficult for the body to release endocannabinoids on its own. The ECS’s function gets disrupted due to the severe adverse symptoms of the condition. This is why Ayurvedic doctors and health experts prescribe consuming Vijaya.
This herb has been found effective by Ayurvedic doctors to help alleviate neuropathic pain. This Ayurvedic cannabis solutionhas been used as a painkiller for centuries. The plant contains hundreds of chemical compounds called cannabinoids. Among them, THC and CBD are the most prominent cannabinoids and have been studied the most for pain-killing (analgesic) effects.
THC has an instant and effective pain-killing action, while CBD focuses more on relieving inflammation in the body. Thus, when the patients consume Vijaya and its derived Ayurvedic cannabis solution, its cannabinoids help improve ECS’s function and activate its cannabinoid receptors.
When it activates the CB1 receptors in the brain, the herb slows down the communication of the pain signals. And activating the CB2 receptors in the immune cells helps reduce inflammation in the affected nerves and blood vessels.
Because the cytokine and chemokine immune cells are responsible for inflammatory action in the body. Vijaya prevents their production and helps stabilize the immune system to prevent it from being hyperactive.
Moreover, the herb does not show any harmful side effects and alleviates the harmful effects of other medications taken by patients. It makes it much more effective and safer for the patients to consume than traditional drugs.
Studies of Vijaya for Neuropathic Pain
- A recent US study showed that Vijaya is not only effective for neuropathic pain but also safely tolerable for patients.
- Another study showed that the THC in Vijaya-derived Ayurvedic medicines decreases the hypersensitivity of the nerves and reduces the production of their pain signals. It further increases the concentration of endocannabinoids in the ECS to help decrease not only pain but also the inflammation that caused it.
- A research conducted in the UK found that Vijaya improved the quality of life among neuropathic pain patients more than any other form of treatment.
As per the analysis data provided by the German Pain e-registry, on consuming Vijaya, the pain intensity decreased significantly in over 67.5% of the patients. Besides that, over 56% of the patients reported better appetite, reduced factors like stress, anxiety, depression, etc., and considerable improvements in their overall wellbeing and quality of life.
Another advantage to using Vijaya-derived Ayurvedic medicines is the significant decrease or complete elimination of harmful and addictive conventional drugs, such as traditional painkillers, opioids, NSAIDs, etc. In the German analysis mentioned above, a significant number of patients stopped using opioids and other traditional medications after consuming Vijaya.
To know more about how you can use Trailokya Vijaya Vati, our Ayurvedic medicine,to relieve neuropathic pain in the legs, contact Hempstreet. We are among the top Hemp companies in India and will provide you the right consultation from the best Ayurvedic doctors.