Anxiety is the feeling of fear about what’s to happen in the future. It can lead to excessive worry, nervousness, and apprehension. Anxiety can furthermore alter your emotional response and behaviour. And in severe cases, it can hurt your day-to-day life.
Studies have shown today that cannabis-based medication is very helpful in treating anxiety disorders, panic attacks, PTSD, and OCD. Ayurveda doctors and medical experts further acknowledge its supremacy over conventional medication in terms of its therapeutic action and effectiveness.
The Causes of Anxiety
In general cases, anxiety can happen due to:
- Fear of the future
- Excess worry interfering in your work, life, and relationships
- Unpleasant/traumatic experiences
- Depression, and
- Other physical and mental health concerns
While in some people, anxiety is among the first indicators of an illness and is associated with medical problems such as:
- Chronic pain
- Heart disease
- Alcohol/drug misuse or withdrawal, and
- Side effects of some medications
Can Cannabis-based Medication Help Manage Anxiety?
Yes! Medical cannabis medicine in India can effectively manage anxiety, stress, symptoms, and related disorders. Today, there are a growing number of studies and clinical trials that acknowledge it.
In 2018, Washington State University examined the effect of medical cannabis on anxiety, stress, and depression. As a result of the study, they found that:
- Cannabis significantly decreased anxiety, depression, and stress ratings.
- Even with small doses of cannabis, the patients reported a 58% reduction in anxiety, stress, and symptoms.
- They furthermore showed a 50% reduction in depression.
The 2015 study by the New York University School of Medicine on cannabis’ effects on anxiety strongly supports the herb’s potential in treating anxiety.
The study found that cannabis reduced anxiety in people suffering from mood disorders like Seasonal affective disorder (SAD). It also acutely enhanced fear elimination and positive behaviour, making it potent for treating PTSD.
The University of Colorado conducted a large-case study to determine if medical cannabis could treat anxiety in a clinical population. It was found that:
- Cannabis was beneficial for treating anxiety and related issues
- There was no issue with the safety profile
- It was better tolerated than routine medication
Furthermore, the University Of Sao Paulo, Brazil, found that Cannabidiol (CBD), one of the main components of cannabis, has strong anxiolytic (anti-anxiety) properties.
It affects the blood flow in the brain regions linked with anxiety and significantly reduces it along with its symptoms.
How Does Cannabis-based Medication Treat Anxiety?
- As you might already know, the Endocannabinoid System (ECS) is one of the body’s most vital biological systems. Its function is to maintain balance in the body, regulate critical functions, and aid in its proper working.
- The brain areas involved in mood function and cognition have a high concentration of these receptors, especially the CB1.
- When cannabis is consumed, its chemical compounds called cannabinoids bind with the cannabinoid receptors CB1 and CB2 in the ECS to produce their therapeutic effects.
- By doing this, medical cannabis hence, treats anxiety, stress, depression, and other related disorders.
- In many cases, anxiety leads to certain mood disorders, which can seriously harm your daily life. But medical cannabis takes care of that as well.
- After consumption, the herb influences serotonin production in the body and improves the brain’s response to it. Serotonin is the crucial hormone in our bodies, responsible for stabilizing mood and regulating feelings of happiness and wellbeing.
- Therefore, it significantly uplifts the mood, regulates emotional response, and weakens anxiety symptoms.
Potential Side Effects
Medical cannabis stands out from traditional drugs because it does not show any side effects as they do. But if consumed without proper consultation from Ayurveda doctors and medical experts, they can lead to mild side-effects like:
- Appetite change
- Effect on weight
- Increased heart rate, etc.
Hence, before consuming medical cannabis to treat your anxiety, it is better to consult Ayurveda doctors and get the right consultation. That will help you know the right dosage and decide upon a medication regime that suits you the most.
Anxiety Symptoms Managed By Medical Cannabis
Medical cannabis, with its anxiolytic and mood-uplifting properties, shows immense potential in effectively treating the various symptoms that come with anxiety, such as:
- Heart problems
- Rapid breathing
- Difficulty in concentrating on the present
- Cognitive troubles
- Gastrointestinal problems
- Uncontrollable worry, etc.
Besides treating anxiety’s symptoms, medical cannabis also treats the side effects of conventional prescription drugs like antidepressants and benzodiazepines, such as:
- Blurry vision
- Upset stomach, etc.
Moreover, it reduces the dependency on such traditional drugs, hence reducing the risk of addiction preventing further symptomatic ailments.
That is the reason why medical experts worldwide are prescribing it to their patients to provide them relief from anxiety, and many patients themselves prefer it over other modes of treatment.
Suppose you want to know how you can leverage medical cannabis’ potential to treat your anxiety and other mental ailments. In that case, our diligent team at Hempstreet Medicare is always ready to help you.
Studies and research have shown that medical cannabis is a very effective medication for treating anxiety. It acts as an excellent anxiolytic and has effective anti-anxiety and mood-uplifting properties.
Moreover, it has a quick action on the body’s endocannabinoid system and strongly influences the brain areas related to anxiety, stress, depression, and mood.
In addition to that, it has garnered worldwide clinical attention because of its safety profile, as it does not show any harmful side effects and treats the ones that come with traditional drugs.